Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I want to try to replace one box of Duragilt with crimp wired foundation. I an guessing I need the wedge top bar kind because I don't see a grove in the frames. I also need wire for the horizontal run, and a spur embedder. Correct?? How many wire do you run Horizontaly?? What about Medium Brood?? Maybe an electric embedder?? IDK:s:scratch:

I really want to see what works best for me, And what the girls prefer:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yes, you can use that set up which is what I also use. The cross wiring depends on the frame maker and is the one thing I dislike about BM med frames. I like to run two wires on med supers but have to run 3 on BM due to the hole placement. On deeps I only wire the bottom three. Oh and I hand embed with a spur embedder.:)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I crosswire using a run of 1 length of wire through the 2 centre holes and then feed the foundation in between the 2 wires for both medium and deep frames - wedge top.
You should be able to salvage the frames with the Duragilt in them. They are presumably wedge top and if you're careful you should be able to pry the wedge off by using a small pry bar near where they were stapled to the top bars. You'll probably need some metal eyelets and a punch to strengthen the crosswire oles you are going to use. I use a spur embedder - you'll need to create a leiitle frame to go under the foundation and wire where you're embedding it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts