Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have bought frames with yellow foundation the bees don't seem to like, are their wax spray to spray on the yellow foundation

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I use a paint roller and melt the wax and roll it on, make sure you use down pressure and get the coat thin, also line up a few do one side and wait until it cools, some people have had problems doing one side, flipping it over and doing the other side right away. in a really good flow like we just had, they were drawing them out just fine, at least the ones from Mann Lake that I had.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Joy:

Bees wax is not water soluble, so I am guessing it would be terribly difficult to make a spray out of it (though that would be really nice). There are several methods to getting wax onto a frame. Wildbranch describes a commonly used method above. I have seen people use paint brushes to spread melted wax as well. Also, I have a beek friend who simply takes a block of beeswax, gets it just warm enough to be a little soft and then scrubs the block of wax across the face of the plastic foundation. She swears it works great and is really effective.

It is getting late in the year for me to get good wax drawn out, regardless of what I might put on the frames. You might want to check with a beek in your area about whether you will be wasting your time trying. You may have to wait until Spring. Good luck.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Joy:
It is getting late in the year for me to get good wax drawn out, regardless of what I might put on the frames. You might want to check with a beek in your area about whether you will be wasting your time trying. You may have to wait until Spring. Good luck.
I agree. If you smear foundation with beeswax during a nectar dearth, My experience is that they will draw that wax which you smeared and then stop. To remedy this, you would need to smear the wax and then continue to feed. Hopefully they will continue to draw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts