Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all,

I am going to try wax foundation strips this year and I was wondering what were different techniques people used to attach these to top bars?

thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You could try casting plain strips in place - that's how they used to do it 'back in the day'. I've done this a few times and it works well enough, but with no great improvement over popsicle sticks - which is my default.

I've also used comb offcuts, squashed along their tops, inserted into the top bar groove and held in place with a few drops of molten wax. Again - this works well enough, but not so much better that it justified the extra work.
LJ

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply LJ,

I'm interpreting that the bees will cross-comb foundation strips, so why bother?

You could try casting plain strips in place - that's how they used to do it 'back in the day'. I've done this a few times and it works well enough, but with no great improvement over popsicle sticks - which is my default.

I've also used comb offcuts, squashed along their tops, inserted into the top bar groove and held in place with a few drops of molten wax. Again - this works well enough, but not so much better that it justified the extra work.
LJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts