Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a deep super that the wax foundation is bowed and sagging. It was put in like all my other foundation, but it is the only one doing this? Can I salvage it? I tried to straighten it be the wires started cutting through and tearing out.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,043 Posts
>Have a deep super that the wax foundation is bowed and sagging.

It's just a hot day and the bees weren't working it yet.

>It was put in like all my other foundation, but it is the only one doing this?

Does it get more sunlight? Is it on a weaker hive on a hotter day? Maybe the bees can't control the temps well enough.

>Can I salvage it?

You can try. If you cut a board to fit inside the frame from both sides, maybe you could press it back some. I've never really suceeded at this to the extent I'd like.

>I tried to straighten it be the wires started cutting through and tearing out.

Hence the need for a board on each side, but it still doesn't always work well.

There's the #1 reason I dislike foundation. Buckling. And yours was wired.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are not exactly in order, but here goes:

>Does it get more sunlight? Is it on a weaker hive on a hotter day? Maybe the bees can't control the temps well enough.

This is a very weak hive. It gets a little more sunlight than other hives. It is in the 2nd deep and they had not finished drawing the first. I may have gotten in too big a hurry. Temps. in mid 80's here.

>There's the #1 reason I dislike foundation. Buckling. And yours was wired.

Yea, I have others in deeps that are not drawn and did not buckle, but they were from a different supplier and had more bees.
What do you reccomend instead of foundation? I saw one post where you reccomended permacomb or is plastic foundation better?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts