Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a couple foundationless langs after having so much fun with a top bar hive over the last year. The narrow frames (1-1/4 inch) worked in the KTBH so they should work in the Lang as well.

My question is about the gap on one side of the box (about 1 inch). Won't the bees build this 9th frame out way too thick? if so, what do you do about it?

My understanding is that you should press all the frames against one side of the hive and leave a gap at the other end. Am I doing this right?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you cut the frames to 1 1/4" you can put 11 in a ten frame box or 9 in an eight frame box.
Hi, Michael. I did what you suggest, and have 9 in an 8 frame box. I'd be interested in how you arrange them in the hive. What do you do with the leftover space in the 8 frame box? Do you space the frames out evenly, squish them together in the middle, or push them all to one side?

Take care, -- Logan

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I think his point in cutting them down is to get more frames in. You still want to space evenly. If you cram all the frames together you will be crushing bees when you are removing frames.

Basically you are still working with the same amount of space. If you cut the frames down and put extra in the box, the result is the same as if you didn't. The bees will draw the comb thicker in standard frames and narrower on narrower frames. If your box is 14 inches wide on the inside it is still only 14 inches whether you have standard frames or narrower ones. The benefit is lighter frames, not more space. You will only gain more space in a brood chamber as the queen will have more cells to lay in...Honey storage wise you will have the same amount of space.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Push all the frames together in the middle. The extra space on the sides is usefull to separate the frame when inspecting. Sometimes they will draw out the outer frames more or add brace comb, but not always. There shouold be less space having 9, 1 1/4" frames (11.25" total) than 8, 1 3/8" frames (11.0" total).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts