Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi BK's,

Can I use wax foundation in top/bottom grooved frames (no wedge bars) or are they intended just for plastic?

What could I do for the honey supers frames in an extractor if I am not able to wedge the wires into the bottom bar?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The idea of the wedge top bar is to clamp the wax foundation in so it doesn't fall out from sagging caused by the heat from the hive and weight of the bees. You can use the grooved top bar(intended for plastic foundation) with wax foundation if you melt beeswax and run a bead of it to glue the foundation in to the top bar. The bees will secure it to the bottom bar.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I bought a bunch from a guy that wasn’t using them anymore. I cut the extended wire off the crimp wire foundation I had and put a small bead of Tite Bond III to glue it in. When I ran out of foundation, I glued in 1/2 a paint stir stick for foundationless frames.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If your temps aren't too high you can use wax foundation in grooved top bars just fine w/o any mods. Straight wired wax foundation (w/o the hooks) can be used regardless.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I use grooved top and bottom bars with wax crimpwired (no hook) foundation here in central FLorida. I DO cross wire the frames. Temps are not an issue done this way. If you happen to have crimp wired w/hooks just cut the hooks off and proceed placing the foundation in your grooved frames. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts