Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I moved my swarm to the hive box the foundation seemed to have fallen out of the frame. More of a sag I guess.

The two frames I had in the swarm trap I moved to the hive box. Should I try to rubber band them back to a standard position or just leave it alone?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using some foundation I ordered by mistake so I probably didn’t install it correctly.

I have been convinced that I will go to wedge top bottom groove from now on. It seems to stay where you put it.

I only put the trap up as a cross your fingers maybe in a year or so I might catch a swarm. So far I’ve had four in a four weeks. Really strange.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
To use wax foundation you need wedge top and split bottom bars.
The split bottom bar allows the wax some where to go if it get too hot and wants to sag, this prevents the "buckling" in the middle.
I prefer wax over plastic any day, deeps are wired foundation and then two cross wires.
Frames for extraction also get wired foundation with cross wires.
Frames for cut comb honey has no wires and no cross wires, also this will be thin surplus foundation.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Some time back I accidentally ordered wired foundation without hooks so I tried to use by putting the wedge cleats on real tight. The foundation ended up falling through the split bottoms.

I prefer split bottoms but use grooved now because that is all BetterBee has. Switched to them since Brushy Man went out of business. Their grooves seem to be deep enough to allow for expansion of the wax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts