Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start from the beginning. I got a 5 frame nuc from a local beekeeper in early July by August following the 7/10 rule i added in a second deep with a mixture of foundation-less, foundation without wire and foundation with wire. During my first inspection in August after putting on the second deep I discovered that I had an infestation of hive beetles. Yesterday I put out a hive beetle trap and began treatment for varroa mites using the same product that the previous beekeeper had used ,Formic pro, during this inspection I found that the bees had only had comb in the first deep. the first deep is filled with about 55% honey and 15% pollen and the rest is brood. during my check with bees today i found this DSCF6007.jpg
What is it and what do i do about it?
Also what should I do about the lack of food stores in the hive for winter?I live in the climate zone B for the US near Virginia mountains. Is it a good idea to wait and see or to just take out the fames with nothing and put in feeders in the second deep, I have a single in hive frame feeder and about 3-4 entrance feeders. What should i do?

Registered
Its a beard;), may have something to do with the treatment, but that's not my expertise. However, if the top box is just empty frames, I don't know what else it could be. Is the top box wider than the bottom? I would consider using a frame feeder if you are worried about their lack of stores.

Registered
It looks like you have a 10 frame sitting on top of an 8 frame there. My hives beard all day every day here in the Florida summer heat (although to a much lesser extent than that). I have a feeling this is the result of mismatched box sizes, meaning you have two extra huge entrances into the hive.

Registered
looks like to me you put the box on sideways, the front is on the side and the side is in the front, not that it has anything to do with the beard, what's the temp out and does your MAQ pro say like mine, not to be 85 F and above for the first couple of days?

Registered
Formic Pro has strict guidelines regarding temperature. You should rotate your mite treatments and not continue to use the same product. Formic Pro will drive a lot of the bee's out of the hive when first applied.

Registered
It does appear that the top box is larger than the bottom, but ignore the bearding for now. I recently added a top deep to a couple of singles to help out with their winter stores. I added a frame feeder with 1:1 and they're drawing comb like it was April. Forget the entrance feeders lest you want start a robbing frenzy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts