Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While going through one of our hives last week, we found this red stuff on just a couple of the frames. It was pretty firm, if not hard, when poked with a hive tool; and had no odor. The frames are located near the hive opening. We are located in Northeastern Illinois, just about two miles from the Indiana state line. I've asked around a few of the Facebook beekeeping groups and have heard it could be anything from propolis to hummingbird nectar. Just thought I'd seek a few more opinions. Thanks for the help!
Honeycomb Bee Honeybee Beehive Insect

Bee Beehive Insect Honeybee Honeycomb

Bee Honeycomb Beehive Insect Honeybee

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
I'm assuming that the damage to the comb is from having been poked and prodded by a hive tool, otherwise there's a problem with how that comb looks regardless of the color.

If the comb looked normal other than the red color, I'd say it's just hummingbird feed or some other man-made sugar based liquid that your bees found useful.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Looks like propolis or some synthetic replacement which the bees often use when available. Had some stealing all the caulking off a trailer 20 years back. Took a while to figure out what was going on as grey propolis is very unusual especial in the yard they where gathering it in. BTW look like them bees need a good dose of syrup or three.......

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Red propolis. We get lots of it. Streams down the outside of boxes below holes on the boxes the bees are trying to plug. I have seen red propolis inside split eucalyptus logs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.