Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found on a local CL posting that - they would remove honey bees and that they are "licensed" beekeeper

????? my question is HOW do you get licensed to be a Beekeeper ....or is this guy just pulling a false label for non- beekeepers ???

just want to know - if there is such a thing -

thanks

here is the posting

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/wan/1670285991.html

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I've never heard of a licensed beekeeper. Maybe this guy took a course and thinks he is licensed. Certified yes, licensed, no.!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Many states require licensing. Here in Utah you must be licensed to keep bees. That way the state can know where the bees are in order to inspect them. It's not usually too tough. Here you fill out a form and pay a fee. There isn't much more requirement than that, other than to put certain information at each apiary.

In other words, being a licensed beekeeper doesn't necessarily mean they know anything.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In Idaho you have to be registered and have a assigned ID number with the Dept. of AG if you have 50+ colonies and pay tax on each one as well.
I know in the city of Spokane, WA if you plan on keeping bees in the city (i.e. backyard, etc.) you must take a beekeeping class and get certified.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
see i understand the "Registered part" Here in washington we are requirered to have our hives registered every year by i think April 10th

but to be licensed just sounds like a gimik to make people think that he is better them the next swarm catcher -

anyhow thanks for the replys - just thought id see what you guy's thought of it

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also .... here in Washington .....we register our hives and locations ....and we dont even have a state bee inspector ????

so if he is certified and licensed and since we havent had a beekeeper in over 10 years .......how does he get re certified and renew his license???

just seems odd -- i emailed him about it but havent got a email back

must be swamped with work since he is licnesed and all

·
Registered
668 Posts
In North Dakota, you register your apiary locations, pay a fee/hive (it varies depending upon how many hives you have) and pay for a license. There isn't anything to do to get the license except to pay the fee.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We have the same thing here on CL. People boasting "licensed". I have not thought much more about it til now. Guess I am going to try and look into that here today. If I find out anything, I'll let you know what California has or does.

Craig

·
Registered
453 Posts
In Texas, as it sounds like everywhere else, you "license" the hives and their locations (though you don't have to give the exact location, its considered a trade secret here). Basically so the state knows how many hives are around and such. But this is a license on the HIVES not the beek.

Sounds like to me he is stretching a bit.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Well he is cheap. $6 for a cut out??!! :eek: Heck I would call him to collect any bee calls I get then just pick them up from him later. What a deal!

·
Registered
706 Posts
one can take the master Beekeeper class thru wsu but in washington I never got my bee licences. i been in washington for over 40 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts