Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my hives and found 2 queenless, by the time i got my queens one hive had a laying queen so I had 1 queen too many. I decided to split one of my most populated hives to put with her and found a swarm cell at the bottom of brood frame, I took a couple of racks out and replaced with undrawn foundation but doesnt feel like I've done enough to stop a swarm. What to do? This hive is very full should I do another split? If I do should I include a swarm cell with them for their queen?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
IF it were a swarm cell, it might be a 'good idea.' But one cell is a cinch to be a supersedure cell. If removed, and the old Q has been terminated (often early in the SS process) the colony is left QX. Forget all you learned about cell position on the comb being an indication of colony intent. You have already seen one SS on the other colony, and you are in the SS season at your location.

Walt

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Well look at it like this, you have just done a split...LOL. You can move the SC back to the hive, but there was a reason they had it. So they will probably replace her anyway. I have been told now more than once from very respectable beeks not to worry about placement of the cell...just how many. Walt says the same thing here, I trust those Ga and Tn guys...LOL. I have watched my hives requeen themselves....all of them this year for various reasons. I like to know the reasons if possible, but ya know what, thay know what they are doing, so I let them do it. I made my first split just the way you did. They off'd the queen and kept the cell.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Take the old queen and a few frames of bees/brood and make a split. Leave the cell with the old hive. Add boxes to create more space if they're filling up your brood boxes. Terrible situation to be in, isn't it? The bees are doing what they're supposed to do! Be happy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts