Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And eggs! And pissed off some bees...

Sorry, I don't have a question. I'm just so excited I finally found her! It only took me 2 months. I was looking for some young brood or eggs to transfer into my new hive and wanted to be extra sure she wasn't on there. I found one with lots of empty cells. Or what LOOKED like empty cells. I looked really close and saw eggs. These are the first eggs I've actually seen. Dang, I need a magnifying glass. I studied and studied and finally found a bee who was longer than their wings! I watched her for a bit and watched the bees around her and, yep, she was a queen. Much smaller than I expected, though, based on some photos I've seen on here.

So I took the brood on the frame next to her. Then I learned what pissed off bees act like. I must have squashed one with my hive tool because they got to where they did NOT like the hive tool. Then they started bombarding my veil. I know what you guys mean now when the bees start hitting you. I backed off about 10 feet and waited for them to go away. I still needed to even out my frames and add one back in. They didn't make it easy. I kept having to back off. I'm really surprised they didn't sting me since they could have gotten my legs or upper arms. I was wearing capris and a white t-shirt and gloves that came almost to my sleeves but not all the way. I'm not yet brave enough to go gloveless. I hadn't even lit the smoker because I hadn't really needed it up to today. My gloves must have gotten some alarm pheromone on them too because they kept swarming on them and trying to bite them.

Then the inner cover stuck to my top box when I tried to lift it up and then fell against my hive with a loud clang. Bees went everywhere! Yikes! I walked away several feet and just waited until most of them crawled back into the hive. I finally had to go get the smoker to run them back in so I could close it up because they were still bearded over the corners. I smoked my gloves good too. Much calmer after that.

I still had some flying around my head and couldn't figure out why because they didnt act mad then I remembered the nuc was still on the ground that I kept on top of this hive. I lifted it up and they all calmly flew inside.

Then I watched them remove the poor victims of today's folly and drag them across the ground. I felt like Godzilla destroying Tokyo.

But, hey, I found my queen!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Good for you, on days like this it would be nice to have a brave suit. I did some nuc work today and the bees were in the same mood as yours, I even took a sting for my troubles. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like you learned a lot today! Feels good, doesn't it? Remember, an unlit smoker won't help much. Keep it handy.:)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Glad you found her! If you see mine - let me know! :)
I rarely see my queens but it is exciting when I do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts