Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Question for the experts.

I found larvae (approx. 4 larvae hanging around in my hive) it was either in uncapped wax or on top of the frames in the burr comb that was starting to be built. It looks like bee larvae but I don't know because one of the larvae was double the size of a bee larvae (was it the queen?, I don't think so.. I am only saying that as there was no evidence of queen cells) the other larvae was just laying on top of the frames. I tried picking up the larger larvae but it fell to the bottom of the board as I tried to pick it up and I then saw the bees take it outside. I just don't know...

Can you help? (pictures attached) Larvae found June 4th 1of2.jpg Larvae found June 4th 2of2.jpg

Edit: Adding other photo.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Drone larvae.

Do you have all plastic foundation? When bees don't have any place to put drone comb they put it in the space between frames. When you opened the box you broke open the drone cells. Giving the bees a place to make some natural comb decreases the likelihood that they will put drones between boxes of frames.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that makes sense, I was worried. I had tried the reverse method in late April but found the bees were not building on the empty boxes that they were sitting on, which led them to started to build directly on top of the frames and inner cover. That's the broken seal you're speaking of. I just re-reversed the boxes and they should have enough room now to continue building.

Thanks JConnolly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts