Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walking around showing another beek some of my hives. Specifically the one that I put on scales. While talking I noticed a small group of bees below the hive and platform scales. They were on the side of 1 of the 4 4" cinder blocks. I looked a little closer and it was easy to see one was a queen.

Came back later to see what was happening. Nothing different. Went to make a 3 frame nuc but realized I just didn't have the time to make it. So i decided to make a little wooden box. Ended up making a very small box that looks like a nuc with a top. One end has some screen wire to look inside.

Decided I needed to have something for them to eat. I had some small pieces of honey comb left from Monday's cutout that couldn't be put in a frame. Drove 2 nails through the side of the box and used them to impale the comb onto the inside of the box.

Went and got the queen and around 20 bees that were still together.

Now my question. What do I do with her? She looks mated but is very active. She was even on the honey comb and appeared to be eating it herself. I have had a few queens that were found outside of a hive/nuc before that were from swarms. Never could get them to stay in a box.

I know I need to go through this specific hive to see if I can find a queen or eggs. But what do I do with this queen even if there is no queen in the hive. It's obvious that she doesn't want to be in the hive or was kicked out of the hive.

Recently I did have a frame with several queen cells that I didn't get moved to a nuc before they emerged. I guess it's possible that this could be one of those new queens or it could be the old queen. Queen cells were created because I put on a QE not knowing that the queen had moved all the way up to the top of the hive.

Any ideas? I have a nuc out at a farm that seems to be queenless. But it could be that the queen hasn't come back from being mated.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had two clumps of bees, just like the one you're describing. I couldn't keep them in. I keep checking that spot to see if there are any more. LOL!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Could it be that a queen emerges from her cell, takes a few attendants and hits the road rather than staying and trying to kill off the other emerging queens?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know. But I am going to keep her butt in the itty bitty nuc with the honey comb for a while. :popcorn: Heck, if she's mated, maybe she will get bored and start laying in some of the comb. :sleep:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Has she slimed down to swarm?
Are her wings damaged?

We sometimes find the old queen with clipped wings living under the hive after a failed attempt to swarm.

Roland

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Why not leave them alone for a while to see if they start building come under there. If she starts laying in it you could cut it out & tie it into frames in a nuc.
Then she would probably stay in the nuc.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nooooooooo....... I have had a couple of queens do this in the past. And they were all part of a swarm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts