Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Follow up from early post, "queen on the Run” found dead queen yesterday afternoon. When I was filling my entrance feed she was in the dry reservoir.

Will inquire about replacement for my package queen (install Mar 27)
If I cannot get a queen should I let them make their own? This package seemed to be doing well. Spotted the queen a week ago and there was uncapped brood just curled up in some cells. Also seemed like a good brood pattern.
My other hive is building up great so I don't think I want to combine. Get a queen or let the make their own, Could there be a second queen in the package?
Keith

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can let the hive create their own queen and you will be behind egg production by the 16 days for the queen to hatch plus however many days it takes her to be breed with a drone and return to the hive.

Or, you can purchase another queen and see how long it takes for her to arrive in the mail.

Good luck.

I wonder why she was in the dry resevoir?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed this package with frames from a strong hive to give them a jump start. The rest foundationless. About five days after I installed, I found queen cells on one of the transplanted frames. The hive I transplanted from was bound up with honey, queen found in upper box. I needed to open the brood chamber give Queen laying space. I feel sure that the queen cells we started from the stong hive and there when I stared the package. Could be wrong though. Also I went though the package on Sunday, found larve uncaped and a good pattern for the capped brood. Queen seemed OK. No more queen cells. Alas, I remove the ones I did see a week ago, mistake?
Keith

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
I bet it was a worker swollen up from floating in syrup that looked like a queen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Let it go three days and then see if you find eggs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts