Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saying, I found a bag of them I bought for like $15 that I was using with OAV. I was wondering why dust masks did such a good job at filtering out OAV and now I realize they were actually N95 masks.

So now I can safely go to the supermarkets and shop for my family. Thx OAV!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I never used N95 masks for OAV treatments, to ifixoldhouses' point. But I also had a box of them in my garage that I used for building boxes and other workworking so I didn't inhale a bunch of sawdust. My dad has heart failure, so I sent half the masks to him. The rest I offered to my doctor; he said right now the hospital still has a good supply of them, but he'll take them once things get more dire.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
I must say that I have used the N95 inside when treating my observation hives and treating my AZ hives without a problem. I first started using this mask when I was researching the vaporizers I make, when the theory was that most of the oxalic acid broke down into formic and carbon dioxide so I would deliberately go into the plume of vapor and try to sniff out the smell of formic but was unable to sense any formic or oxalic acid. During my tests I found that the sblimated oxalic condensed into fine oxalic acid crystals immediately on exiting the outlet tube. This also blows the theory about high temperature breakdown as no mteer the temperature the vessel is that you pour water into the resulting steam will be no hotter than 212 F. Here is a pic of the vapor leaving the nozzle onto my arm less than 3" away. IMG_1252.jpg

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
N95 Masks absolutely work for OAV. IDK why people are so illogical about OAV - the EPA classifies it as a pesticide so beekeepers treat it like they're working with Mercury.

The EPA is basically irrelevant now that we have COVID-19 to worry about, so as the government collapses, us beekeepers are on our own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts