Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going through my #2 hive and found 2 queen cells. The queen is alive and i did see larvae. Did not see any eggs but i may have not noticed them. I did have a head lamp.

Do I need to destroy the cells and add my extra 10 frame on top?I dont have any extra bottom boards to create new hive.

I was feeding syrup to them and it might have fired them up. 2 of the outer frames have nothing. Should i slide them inward and the honey outward?

I had a plan till i popped the top. IMG_20190701_111154_burst_06.jpg IMG_20190701_105030.jpg IMG_20190701_104213.jpg IMG_20190701_111154_burst_06.jpg IMG_20190701_105030.jpg IMG_20190701_104213.jpg

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I would move the empty frames into the center ONE at a time. I would personally feed until they are drawn. I have no idea when your hot season and dearth begin, but if it has started, it is all about fall and wintering. Two cells, if occupied are about the bees producing a new queen not about swarming. It took me many years to learn to leave those decisions to the bees as they make them on an informed basis. I am just hanging on to the past and a queen that may be failing. If you see no eggs, they may have taken this action just in time or that hot summer dearth may have begun and told them they do not need more bees. Talk to a successful beekeeper who has honey for sale every year in your zip code for best advice, not from the master beekeeper in your club who has to buy replacement bees every year.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm only in my second year, but I just went thru something very similar in one of my hives. I thought they were swarm cells, but wonder now if they were supersede cells. Check out this thread, perhaps it will offer some help to you. In my case I'm doing exactly what Vance (and squarepeg in my thread) suggests....letting the colony work it out.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?355901-Swarm-cells-a-little-help-please

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. Now that i think about it im not sure if i saw the queen or something else in that hive. I did see it in the #1 hive for sure. I had them worked up today when i went in twice. I cant see any eggs because i have glasses for up close and i didnt have them with me. I could see tons of larvae.

I will try tomorrow with a quick peek with my glasses.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ha, funny. Over the past few years I have realized the need for reading glasses. It's a real PIA to see thru a veil with them :lookout:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I like to move the old queen into a nuc with plenty of nurse bees on frames with eggs, larve, and brood, and a few frames of resources. Let the queen cells hatch out and fulfill their mission to replace slowing or failing queen. Also, the original queen may be slowing down during dearth. Mine usually do well when moved to a nuc, that is built strong from the beginning. Then you have a resource hive or a new hive ready in case one dies off.
Rich

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went back into the hive this morning to see if i could find the queen. I could hear the bees in the hive as i was walking up to it. I opened the hive and there was a ton of bees on top of the frames and they were more aggressive today. The super cell is closed and i did not see the queen. They burned through 1.5lbs of syrup in one day. More capped brood. I did not see any eggs even with my glasses on. There was the black plastic from the foundation reflecting back but i could not see eggs. I terms of numbers of bees, they are increasing fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts