Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this foul brood? If so, American or European / how can you tell the difference?

What do I do to treat it or do I just eliminate this colony?

Will this infect my other hives?

5AFADE7E-5422-438E-9CC1-72D6AC608F36.jpeg
77B73A1A-6DDC-4438-9235-687A250936C6.jpeg
888EF016-530D-4E82-A83D-DE461E733DE9.jpeg

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
MIght be EFB it is not AFB. talk a vet out of TM or better yet tylan but the bees might be able to clean it up if there are no other stressors.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
No clue where you are from.Many states have inspectors just for this reason.
Looks like chewed out pupae.Have you ruled out mites?
Doesn't have the greasy look of AFB or the yellow twisted larvae of EFB.
Any scale?Pupal tongues?Smell?

Vita Bee Health sells test kits.Search for both AFB and EFB.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
You know the main indication of a foul brood?
Well, yes, the brood should give off foul smell.
Did you try that?
If not, then try.
Mostly likely you are negative.

Another very basic test to try for the AFB (while already sniffing around) is the "match stick test".
Do try this at home and see - the dead larva should be of glue-ish consistence (see pictures below) - this is easily tested using a match stick (or any similar object).

So, I would not rush around just yet buying things and calling for inspections.
Most likely from the pictures and the AFB occurrence probability you are OK.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
That's a **** queen.

I'd suggest giving them a big feeder, waiting a week, let them clean that **** up, and pinch the queen and let them re-queen themselves.

Looks like Chalkbrood AND EFB.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Second chalkbrood, but you need to make the ultimate determination. Take a look at your bottom board. Are there pupae that are "mummified"? Are your hives in a damp/ shady area ?
Definitely do the match stick test as GregV suggested, but they look dry to me. J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I have been unable to get to this box because of work until yesterday. When I opened it up it was covered with bees but none of the chalky brood was in there. It’s like it was completely disappeared. I’m going to keep an eye on this colony and see what happens. This queen still has a terrible laying pattern so I’m going to give it another week or two then re queen if it’s not looking better.
Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Excellent tutorial on Ian Stepplers YT site on differentiating sacbrood from AFB would be helpful to all

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,054 Posts
So, I have been unable to get to this box because of work until yesterday. When I opened it up it was covered with bees but none of the chalky brood was in there. It’s like it was completely disappeared. I’m going to keep an eye on this colony and see what happens. This queen still has a terrible laying pattern so I’m going to give it another week or two then re queen if it’s not looking better.
Thanks for all the replies
A week often does not change the laying "pattern"
Now after giving 20 or so queens a "chance" I just replace.

follow your gut, as deep down you will know.

GG

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Nothing in the pictures looks like AFB. It looks like chalkbrood to me. If it has already cleared up, then that is just another indicator of chalkbrood. Chalkbrood is to be ignored. At least for the first few weeks. It normally clears up with dry, warm weather and a little nectar flow.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Chalk brood can be quite bad, it's difficult to eradicate, and often sticks around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts