Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article...I guess this means almond prices are going up and they will want more pollination to keep up with demand.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37996560/

This year, China will emerge as the top foreign buyer of American almonds, more than doubling its purchases from two years ago, according to data from the Almond Board of California. Last year, China was the top foreign buyer of American walnuts, and in 2007, it became the leading export market for pecans. Altogether, China bought $737 million in tree nuts from the United States last year, up from just $89 million five years earlier, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
This is from the last issue of Kim Flottum's "Catch the Buzz"

"Speaking of almond pollination, how about more bees in 2011? -- With an estimated 20,000 more bearing acres needing pollination this next season, almond growers will need 40,000 – 50,000 more honey bee colonies more than the 2010 pollination season requirements."

That should be real good news for those of you who go to CA for almonds.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd read something saying that last year (2009) was the first year in a while that there were too many bees/beeks trying to get almond contracts than there were contracts. Did our supply exceed demand last year?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I heard there was a shortage of 100,000-200,000 colonies for almond pollination this last season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts