Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left a full deep of honey, put in a pollen patty and some bee candy. Built a "box" of 1" insulation to put around each hive, making sure to leave space between the hive and the box. We have really cold winters here and things don't start to flower until late April/early March.

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Sounds good, although you didn't mention if you did anything for varroa mites?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We treated for varroa twice in October using oxcilic acid. I wish there were a better and less toxic way to control them.

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Well if it was effective sounds like you should be good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sure hope so. I would really like to check on them but it is pouring snow and only about 10 degrees outside. Gonna have to wait!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
We treated for varroa twice in October using oxcilic acid. I wish there were a better and less toxic way to control them.
Oxolic acid is about as easy on bees as anything. Less toxic way to treat.....? I've never tried worrying them to death.... :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome to our world..... Most of the Northern beekeepers get very anxious this time of year and will for the next month an a half hoping our bees have what it takes to make this last push thru winter into spring. Good luck to you and your bees!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts