Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I experienced a formic smell from one of my hives, strong enough to make my eyes water. I know what formic smells like, as I use to treat with it. What is going on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ants produce formic acid. It's the chemical ants use to put down a scent trail for other ants to follow. In fact, the word FORMA means ant.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting,

So, these ants were starting to build its nest between the boxes, from what your saying, they were creating this formic smell to draw ants up into the new nesting area?

A formic treatment would be an ant magnet to the hive?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know if a formic acid treatment would have that effect, but I suppose it could happen. Formic acid was one of the first organic acids synthesized in a lab. My biology professor in college said a neat trick was to tke formic acid and write your name with it on a sidewalk and come back in an hour or two and see your name spelled out in ants.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ants produce formic acid. It's the chemical ants use to put down a scent trail for other ants to follow. In fact, the word FORMA means ant.
Right on. You might even call it ant-acid. (insert laugh track here).

More seriously, some rotting wood can also produce an acid smell. You might want to think about that as a possibility if you don't find any ants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts