Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here in Minnesota it’s supposed to be 80 and below (?) for the next week or so. When I do my mite checks tomorrow, if I have to treat what is your recommendation on formic pro:
1 pad for two treatments or 2 pads for one treatment?

I have a range of 2 deeps and 1-3 mediums, and a couple of 3 deeps with 1-2 mediums.

I’m not sure of the population in the hives yet but I’ll have a better idea tomorrow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have 3 hives and I have applied to 2 pads on 2 hives each and 2 strips of hopguard on the third. Since the temperatures got lower I needed to take advantage of this.

I dont even test because I know there are mites in the area. Later in September I will just apply HopGuard.3

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have done the one strip at a time method for a very specific reason: I treat late in the season--August or September and if I lose a queen it will be had to replace her at this time. Of course, I could combine, but I'd rather work with my gives the way I want them. I don't think I've had problems with the treatment. .

I've never one two strips at once, so I can't compare.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
If you have the weather and young queens, I would do 2 strips in hives of your size. But this is just what I do. If you have a queen loss, you have time to get another. Do not treat for 24hrs after an inspection. A mite check might be ok. Depends how intrusive you are .J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts