Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question about using formic pro. I was able to get a break in the weather this morning to do a fall varroa mite treatment. I was only able to lay the strips between the top brood box and the honey super since the frames were stuck to the bottom frames when trying to seperate the boxes and I was fearing it would start raining any minute. The only problem I am concerned with is that the top brood box is almost completely filled with capped honey and not brood at all. Do you think this treatment will still work somewhat? I used a board to count mites last week and had 23 per 24 hours. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh I already did. I want going to treat this year but my instructor advised me too. I didnt think my mite count was that steep. But I didn't separate my deep bodies this spring because there was only nectar and honey in the top so the frames are now stuck to the bottom of the upper deep box. I will have to address this in the spring and do a good once through this hive. They are pretty strong and survived their first winter here in Oregon. I left them with a full deep of honey and about 6 full frames of honey in a super for this winter and as a jump off for the spring. Its difficult to find breaks in the rain here around this time of year.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
you have not separated the hive bodies since spring and you have a super on going into winter here in the valley? It is not supposed to rain here until the 23rd, there is still plenty of time to get set up in a correct configuration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Minz, I will be opening and addressing the hive on Sunday. How much honey do you leave to overwinter? A full deep? Or is more needed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts