Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does FormicPro/MAQS cause a poor (shotgun) laying pattern? Many say FormicPro/MAQS is hard on queens, but i don't know exactly what means. I just treated with FormicPro (1 strip every for 2X 10 day period) and now have a shotgun brood pattern. Will the queen recover or should she be replaced? Is this caused by the FromicPro or just a coincidence? Queen is 11 months old. :scratch:

Alex Madsen

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have used MAQS/formicpro in the past and sometimes the queen has stopped laying for a week or so, but I've never noticed a shotgun pattern after treatment. Hard on queens means that the treatment sometimes kills the queen. I lost one last year for the first time using formicpro. Also make sure you check your mites after the treatment. I was always pleased with MAQS, but the formicpro I used last year didn't seem to work nearly as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what I suspected. I think it is time for me to experiment with grafting and raising a new queen.

alex

·
Registered
488 Posts
It is far too warm to be using MAQS/Formic Pro in my opinion. I realize the label states that it can be used upto 85 degrees F. My experience is that I would not use it much above 75 degrees F. It is just far too strong and harsh on the entire hive, queens, brood, workers, and all. I get very good mite drops and a follow on brood explosion 3 weeks after thermal treatment with the Mighty Mite Killer on my hives. In cases where I am not able to get to some hives in time , I treat with Apivar as a stop gap measure until I can. I Keep 2 ProVap 110's to treat during Winter should the need arise.

I tried using MAQS last season in October and that will be the last time I use it. The MAQS treatment was very effective but it was VERY hard on the brood and hive in general even though I treated at 78 degrees F.

When ever possible, I prefer to employ chemical free treatments that ARE very effective and the Mighty Mite Killer indeed meets and exceeds my preference and expectations.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is far too warm to be using MAQS/Formic Pro in my opinion. ...Whenever possible, I prefer to employ chemical free treatments that ARE very effective and the Mighty Mite Killer indeed meets and exceeds my preference and expectations.
Not a lot of options for emergency treatment when suppers are on in the middle of a flow. Might count came back higher than anticipated and I had to take imidate action.

PS Temperatures were in the 70s for the first week of each MAQS treatment.

Alex

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Temps should have been fine. I had a hat on 9 days ago and its been 50's at night.

Alex......Are you sure those empty cells are not just where there were mites and the bees removed the larvae and dead mites?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
good point. i will look at the larva pattern when i go in this weekend.
I'm guessing if you can find an open frame where there was not brood before you will see a solid pattern. The empty cells will probably be filled with nectar. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts