Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder how many beekeepers use some type of protection when applying Formic. I am unable to use it due to serious health problems.I have seen many UTube videos where the fumes drift and the beekeepers are not protected. Now I simply cannot take a chance even with proper protection. I have to use other products that do not vaporize and still I need to protect myself.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
All it takes is to get a whiff of formic the first time you use it to realize you need protection. After my first time, I will never and have never used it again without the proper mask, gloves and face guard. That first whiff was only opening the container it came in. It is nasty stuff.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I wear a mask and gloves. I open the packs and drop the pads out of the plastic onto cardboard. Let air for 30 min or so and then put on hives. Then, it is easier for me to handle. May be better for the bees, also.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I use no protection other than gloves for either acid. Not a recommendation to anyone else, just stating my choice.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have been known to do the same as bushpilot although like him I do not recommend it. Gloves, safety glasses, and a gas mask with the proper filter is the proper/best way to go.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Go to Randy Olivers scientific beekeeping site. He has a recent article on mite treatments and the dangers of not taking proper safety precautions. Misuse can be very dangerous.
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts