Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I place a formic pro pads on the plastic queen excluder?

Or which one is better, to have a queen excluder and then treat after major honey flow or treat now and place queen exluder later?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hard to know how much it matters. The formic acid is supposed to vaporize, so it's not about the bees crawling on it, ornottoo muh, anyway. But I would think that you would want to give you bees as much free movement as possible so they can get away from the acid, and that goes for the queen, too. I guess. So, maybe no excluder.

You can supposedly use Formic Pro while supers are on, though I think you are supposed to wait a week or two before you would harvest honey. Can't remember exactly. If you have a flow now and you want to catch it, I would do the treatment later. If you have time before a fow starts, seems good now. You should have a super or two with frames to give the bees space to get away from the acid.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
One purpose made tray for the acid pads was arranged with space above something like the top feed shims, so the queen could get above the descending acid vapor plume.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I would not treat with a queen excluder on, but then I don't use them anyway. For a few hours you want the queen to be able to get far away from that formic acid vapor.

I'm also not a fan of spring formic acid treatments. Mites are rarely an issue in the spring when the hive is building up fast and a couple local beekeeping friends have lost hives after spring formic acid treatments.

I have good luck with a single treatment in late August or early September, soon as it's cool enough. Zero lost hives last year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would not treat with a queen excluder on, but then I don't use them anyway. For a few hours you want the queen to be able to get far away from that formic acid vapor.

I'm also not a fan of spring formic acid treatments. Mites are rarely an issue in the spring when the hive is building up fast and a couple local beekeeping friends have lost hives after spring formic acid treatments.

I have good luck with a single treatment in late August or early September, soon as it's cool enough. Zero lost hives last year.
Yah it is kind of the nuclear option when there are very few mites. It is very harsh on the bees but is effective. I like OAV in the spring before supers just to keep the population nailed down. Formic toward the end of the season before winter preps right before the mite population tends to explode.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I don't, I buy the pre-measured pads, either MiteAway Quick Strips or another brand.

Formic acid is a hazardous material, getting it shipped to a home address will be a pain, and it's NASTY to handle, you must have a fume hood.

Much safer and easier to use the commercial ones.

If you are treating more than a few hives, you really need an organic vapor removal respirator. Really, you do.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts