Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening I put formic acid pads on my hives. Today it is going to be 78 F and tomorrow will be 84 F. Durring the weekend it is predicted that the weather will be in the high 80s and low 90s.

Will I be ok by then with formic acid pads in the hives and these kind of temps or should I remove the pads?

·
Registered
660 Posts
MAQS or Formic Pro? If so, you should be OK with those temps.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Ditto on Bushpilot's advice-first 3 days should be under or around 85 F for the first 3 days, then if there's a spike in temp, you should be ok.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The highest dose occurs over the first three days so it is important to be mindful of the temps during that time. After the first three days, it matters less. Still want to keep an eye on it, but it becomes less critical.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm always super-cautious about temp windows with FA, and avoid any period where temps can be expected to be above 80, but that's just me being a little paranoid. On the other hand, I have seen people complaining about queen/brood issues with formic but have not experienced such myself.

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,136 Posts
As noted above, it is the biggest deal during the first three days.

But the temp issues are why I quit using them. I guess if I had an absolute infestation, I might still drop some in. But I honestly just didn't notice any great improvements ever with it. I've seen commercial guys talk about them not being effective in high humidity, I cannot comment on that.
Two sides to Iowa weather is that during prime MAQS/Formic time here it is always either 90 degrees or like 65. It never seems to be in the middle. And Iowa summer means it's always about 90%+ humidity. I'm not sure how effective it is in the cooler temps, I know part of the design of the strip is to do a flash treatment, but more controlled. If it's a lower, slower release... does it still get the same effect? I don't know. All I do know is that it never seemed that effective to me. And early on I didn't have any queen issues when I only had a handful of hives. But as I grew and the sample size got larger, I noticed a lot of weird queen stuff going on during that time immediately following.

Compared to a series of OAV treatments during spring/summer and visually seeing much tighter brood patterns. MAQS does seem to usually offer a nice period of lighter brooding for about a week. It usually isn't a whole "break", but it's a dip in brood for sure. So you could use them together. I can't remember the suggestion for MAQS, I know it's 2 pads, 2 weeks, but I thought maybe one pad was one week? If you did one pad and then did OAV around the time you pulled it... maybe that would be a good double whammy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There was a field trial a few years ago of the old MAQS in 95F to 100F weather and they worked well. Still, the advice about the first 3 days is good if you have that option. If I remember correctly placing one pad for ten days followed by a new pad for ten days worked best. But do a mite count about ten days after removing the last pad to verify knockdown since strange things can happen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yesterday evening I put formic acid pads on my hives. Today it is going to be 78 F and tomorrow will be 84 F. Durring the weekend it is predicted that the weather will be in the high 80s and low 90s.

Will I be ok by then with formic acid pads in the hives and these kind of temps or should I remove the pads?
I'm listening it first time.can anyone help me which formic acid used 🙂

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm listening it first time.can anyone help me which formic acid used 🙂
I've used MAQS in the past, now using Formic Pro. Not sure the difference but Formic Pro has a longer shelf life. I don't have any OAV equipment. My experience has been good with it but you do need to watch your temps. I've seen heavy bearding the first day or two and I only use it when the temps are supposed to max out around 85 for the first 3 4 days. I'm just a hobbyist with 5 hives, tried treatment free but I never got a hive through the winter till I started treating for mites. Treated 2 hives with 2 pads on top of the bottom deep on 7-9, I'll post a update maybe this weekend. I usually leave them alone for 2 weeks when I treat. It does stress them a bit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FormicPro is the new pad name. There are two pads sealed in one “aluminum foil” envelope and you need both to treat one hive (or if you have more hives and decide to treat one pad twice you leave some sealed until needed). Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
655 Posts
've used MAQS in the past, now using Formic Pro. Not sure the difference but Formic Pro has a longer shelf life. I don't have any OAV equipment. My experience has been good with it but you do need to watch your temps. I've seen heavy bearding the first day or two and I only use it when the temps are supposed to max out around 85 for the first 3 4 days. I'm just a hobbyist with 5 hives, tried treatment free but I never got a hive through the winter till I started treating for mites. Treated 2 hives with 2 pads on top of the bottom deep on 7-9, I'll post a update maybe this weekend. I usually leave them alone for 2 weeks when I treat. It does stress them a bit.
I've been using Formic Pro and the stuff works well. In double deep broods, two pads over 2 weeks (hell, last year I was lazy and just left them in from August until I reversed the hives in late March-they go inert and aren't a problem). The single pad is a twenty day run of 2 pads separately over a back to back 10m day each. I'm not big on opening the brood boxes unless necessary so I did the two pads over 2 weeks. On day 1 through day 3, the hive's natural hygienic tendencies take over, they'll clean up the hive on their own and you'll see some dead bees, larvae and pupae and a massive mite drop. Definitely get a respirator with organic vapor cartridges per the manufacture's instructions. The Formic Pro will get under the brood capping which is what's needed at this time of year. Typically the hive shuts down for a few days, my experience is 3 days as they clean up. This year, they were bringing in pollen the next day as their sisters hauled out the infected bees. I have a ProVap, great tool but usually only use it when the supers are off. I don't think the 4 or 5 treatment over 20 days is appropriate on production hives at this time of year here. We're in a flow and they're making honey, one and done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts