Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Looks too good to be true, you buy one forst then tell us what you got. I googled the site and they claim it to be a dangerous scam site.
Johno

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
How many hives do you have that are sitting on hard flat surfaces? It might lift them fine, but to move them will be a different story unless there are larger wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a great idea. but as stated, how many hives are on hard flat surfaces.
I think there is enough people on here that some one can look at this and comeup with a better idea that we can all make from spare parts?!
Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
11,163 Posts
The domain name "foryouthsome.com" was created/registered about 3 weeks ago, on December 6. Furthermore, apparently the owner didn't have enough confidence in that name to register it for any more than the minimum 12 months. :rolleyes:

Domain Name: FORYOUTHSOME.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2340437007_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2018-12-15T07:53:08Z
Creation Date: 2018-12-06T02:07:39Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-12-06T02:07:39Z

https://www.whois.net/
(If you click the link, then paste in the domain name in the search box to see the full details.)

At least if you buy through Ebay, you get some assurance from Ebay that they will cover losses from scam sellers if you follow the Ebay Terms & Conditions. With an independent market like FORYOUTHSOME.COM you are completely on your own .... :eek:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I think there is enough people on here that some one can look at this and comeup with a better idea that we can all make from spare parts?!
Anyone?
I'm not equipped for building such things, so, I buy things that others build. This video was taken this fall, first time out for a new gadget we bought, my wife had the phone recording for the very first attempt at loading a hive on the truck with the new gadget.

Things to notice, we are on very rough ground, and it's a decently high lift from the ground to the deck on our truck. The hive being lifted in that video is a double deep, well populated, and the top box is mostly full of honey. That one came home from the fireweed patch heavy enough this fall, no fall feed was required. Yes, we are a bit awkward with it loading, it was the first attempt, by the time the truck was loaded, understood better how to use it and loading went quicker and easier. I bought it here:-

https://www.beebreedingcentre.com/product-page/heavy-lifter

After we used it the first time, I had an idea, went to amazon and found a small crane scale, hooked it in to try out when we wanted to weigh hives before starting fall feeding.

Weighing before feeding is now a trivial task, no heavy lifting involved, just pick up the hive with the lifter and read the number off the scale, I can walk down the line of 20 and have weights in just a few minutes. It's also going to dramatically change how we track honey production. We use bee escapes, so we can use the lifter to pick up a stack of supers and insert the escape. When we come back a couple days later to pick off the supers, I will have the scale in place and we will record the weights of supers coming off of each colony. That number will start to be a primary input into selection for next seasons queen mother when we are grafting in May and June.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I say scam! Way too cheap for one thing and since it is merely a balance beam the apparent effort by the operator is not realistic to be what it would take to offset the weight of that refrigerator or the tank of propane if it was full.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Grozzie

Thanks for posting that video...that's pretty neat! Good job

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Looks good. One minor idea I would close your s hooks so that they can’t come off.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Looks good. One minor idea I would close your s hooks so that they can’t come off.
I took that photo the first time I had the scale in place using the hooks that came with it. Rather than close them, I'd rather come up with a clip setup so the scale can still be removed easily when we dont need it. BUT, even with the fuss of it coming unhooked a couple times during the first use, it still made weighing hives a piece of cake, no muss, no fuss, just run the forks into the handholds on the bottom box, lift an inch, write down the number and set it right back down.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone?
Inventors hate it, but I love the idea of diy.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took that photo the first time I had the scale in place using the hooks that came with it. Rather than close them, I'd rather come up with a clip setup so the scale can still be removed easily when we dont need it. BUT, even with the fuss of it coming unhooked a couple times during the first use, it still made weighing hives a piece of cake, no muss, no fuss, just run the forks into the handholds on the bottom box, lift an inch, write down the number and set it right back down.
Were did you get it?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The lift came from the first web address, beebreedingcentre. It sells for C$1600.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thanks missed that and ouch. Something for those with thousands of hives or a deep wallet.
I see it differently. This gadget we bought is for folks that dont have a thousand hives which would justify purchasing an Ezyloader and a truck large enough to handle it. The lift we bought is an investment in my aging back which I do not want to eventually become inflicted with what we commonly call 'beekeeper back' around here.

2018 was a substantial year in terms of growth for us. We didn't increase our colony count much, but we did establish a new yard about 70km from home in a patch with abundant fireweed for a summer flow. This was a test year for us, so we only put a dozen colonies out there, but still brought home a thousand pounds of honey from that location. After the cost of bottles, lids and labels, we net just over 8 bucks on a bottle of honey. We bought a 'new to us' flatdeck which you can see in the video above, it's an older tundra 4x4 with a nice little deck. We also bought equipment for setting up bear fences, and we bought the lifter. The sales of honey from that new yard covered the cost of these purchases with a few bucks left over to cover the gas bill. At this point, I view it as just 'sweat equity', we have no surplus cash, but we now have the equipment to allow us to make much better use of a very productive remote outyard.

Reality is, I would really like the equivalent of an Ezyloader, but we will never have enough colonies to justify the 30K for the loader, and another 60K for a truck large enough to handle it. I found an old flat deck on craigslist last spring, bought it for 4K. Fancy it's not, 2000 tundra with 350K Km on it, but, runs good and easily hauls 16 hives on the deck. 4 wheel drive gives us access to our new yard, cant get in there with 2 wheel. The lifter was another 1600 plus shipping. After the dust settled on the pair, and a little fixup on the truck, into the pair of them for about 7000 cdn total. The new area is good we have the bees in a 500 acre fireweed patch with a creek running thru so there's water and lots of nectar from late June till mid August. Next season we will take most of the colonies out there, expectation is to have a couple dozen full size set out for honey and an equivalent number of nucs growing out. With a little help from decent weather we should be able to bring home a load with 1000 pounds of honey twice out of that setup. That's about right for us because the honey house is set up to process about a thousand pounds in a day of extracting.

We started down this road of building up a small honey business 5 years ago when we purchased this property. Today we have a modest honey house set up with a small warm room and bottling equipment all sized around doing roughly a thousand pounds a day while extracting. We have equipment for moving colonies to and from summer yards, and we now have a gadget that takes the back work out of handling heavy supers. To date, all of this has been paid for out of revenue from honey sales. My real driving reason for wanting mechanical lift was less about moving hives to and from the truck, and more about the process of setting bee escapes. The real deciding event came this spring setting escapes on one of our strongest colonies at the tail end of the spring flow. Double deep brood nest with excluder then 3 chock full honey supers, all set on a stand about 8 inches off the ground. To set the escape, first I had to lift off 3 heavy supers, then set an empty down, then the escape, then set the 3 full ones back on top. Lifting a full super to the top of a stack of boxes now 6 high was something I promised myself, this would be the last time. I ordered the lifter that evening. the primary mission for this gadget, lift a stack of 3 full supers up high enough to set in the escapes, then set it all back down. Secondary missions are for taking that stack of full supers off the colony and onto the truck, then later lifting the colonies onto the truck. One of our original goals was to equip ourselves in such a way that all tasks could be handled by just one of us, and without mechanical assist of some type, moving hives off and on the truck is not a one person task, so a lifting device of some type was essential in the overall plan. I would still prefer something along the lines of a baby version of the ezyloader mounted permanently on the truck, but, this will do the job and fits the budget. Nothing else I've found would fit the budget.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts