Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The type of bean and the type of soil determines if the plant will produce nectar. You will have to talk to local beekeepers to determine if beans produce in your area.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Last year during the long stretch of dearth, I was pleasantly surprised to see my bees all heading South East. I followed the flight as best I could and found a huge soybean field. I waded in to see what the draw was and found a zillion little flowers under the leafy canopy!
The bees loved them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The type of bean and the type of soil determines if the plant will produce nectar.
I heard Richard Coy of Coy Honey Farms answer this question at HAS last year. If I recall he said they did get some honey production out of soybeans, but only in certain geographic areas and it was weather dependent as well. Something about night time low temps maybe?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've considered moving some of my bees to a soybean field but I'm not sure it'd be worth it. I wouldn't be looking for surplus honey but only as a beneficial forage area for some upcoming splits. I just planted this field yesterday so I've got some time to make a decision.

Does anybody have any firsthand experience with this?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 20 acres of irrigated soybeans right next to my three hives. I know they will bloom most of the summer beginning in a few weeks, and I was just wondering if that will produce any extra honey for me. I'm not moving my hives, so we'll find out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts