Just starting out this year. Purchased 2 hives in May, with the goal of building to 5 hives for honey next year and up to 10 Nuc's for brood factory, cell builder etc, and just learn. Anyhow....got those 2 up to 10 through various methods (pretty lucky on the queens mating/returning). Ordered 4 New World Carniolans that showed up late June. Made up some weak splits and got the queens accepted. Lost one to SHB pretty quickly....so really checking on the remaining 3. Added another frame of capped brood and bees to the weakest one....but I think the foragers flew back and said hey....found a weak hive with honey
Noticed the robbing the next day. Moved the hive away.....everything calmed down, checked the queen the next day and still alive and laying....but not many bees.
Long story short, I moved my largest hive to the other end of my property and put the weak nuc in it's place.....holy cow, tons of bee's now. Did a combination of that to the others and all 3 nuc's are pretty full of protective bees now, hopefully can fight off the SHB better.
I put an order in for that Brawny din-a-max, will see how that goes.
Didn't expect that much SHB explosion or the robbing, if I wouldn't have been snooping around, would have lost at least 3 hives for sure. Not sure how the people still raising queens can manage mating nuc's in the south, this time of year. Anyhow....we'll see how it goes, so far so good.