Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to run all deeps with 2 hives. Yes I know they’re heavy; and they were healthy productive hives. How many deeps of honey have you seen?

I would rather stay standardized with frame sizes with just 2 hives. I’m sure that will change should I choose to increase volume, but interested in experience in those running all deeps. Also, how many deeps should I invest in for a full season? I currently have 6 total.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am gonna try it this year too. I have 6 hives currently 3 double deep 10 framers 2 5 over 5 nucs and one single story nuc. I am sticking to deeps this year to get as much deep drawn comb made as i can so next year i can hopefully get 10 production hives and some palmer style double nucs running. Where in MS are you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run all 8 frame deeps. I usually have three supers on before the first one is capped, then I extract and put the wets back on. So for me I have three honey supers per production hive. I have extracted six or seven supers per hive in a season, so if you are a once a year extractor the number of supers may have to be more. A lot would depend on your flows, I have no idea for your area.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
When box weight wasn't a factor, I used to super with deeps from the bed of my truck. Placed colonies in two rows I could just drive between. How high they go is not about sizes of box but all about your pasture! In those days I was expanding and drawing comb but I figured I had to have five boxes per colony so I had one to put on when I pulled one or two to extract, so I could put them back on. If you can extract to empty full supers, your yield will increase supering with wet boxes. But that was before varroa and in fantastic pasture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts