Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a packed on April 1 with all foundationless frames. I fed them 1:1 and they quickly drew comb on all 8 frames so I added another 8 frame medium on top of the first box. They have 3 frames drawn on it now. Our honey flow has started so I took off the feeders yesterday. Since the other 5 frames are completely blank (no foundation or comb), was it wise to pull the sugar syrup even though our flow has started? If it takes 29.2 pounds of nectar to produce that 8 pounds of honey to make that 1 pound of wax, would syrup plus the flow be better since they have so much wax to still produce?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Since the other 5 frames are completely blank (no foundation or comb), was it wise to pull the sugar syrup even though our flow has started?

Yes.

> If it takes 29.2 pounds of nectar to produce that 8 pounds of honey to make that 1 pound of wax, would syrup plus the flow be better since they have so much wax to still produce?

What makes you think there is less nectar out there than the syrup you would provide? The syrup leads to robbing, ants, drowned bees and a weakened immune system ( http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0033188 ). Not to mention many packages swarm because of constant feeding. Making wax is what bees do. It is not some huge burden you have put on them. Plus they have to make it anyway, with nectar or with syrup. Syrup will not "fix" that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yay!! I was hoping it would be you that responded to this question. I feel better now. Thanks Michael.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
That quit taking it during a flow or they'ii take very little.If you're giving them EOs they're going to keep taking it no matter what.I'm in Dickson County mine won't take any right now because of the flow.You did right!They're better off with nectar and honey than sugar.They'll still produce wax and will build quicker during a nectar flow.It's a waste of time and syrup for me right now because of the flow to try to get them to take syrup.You can still put it on for them but you'll see what I'm talking about.Enjoy and have a good season !P.S.What Michael said!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>That quit taking it during a flow or they'ii take very little.

A lot of people believe that. I've very seldom seen bees stop taking syrup if it was constantly provided. Bees are very loyal to a source as long as the source doesn't run out...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Mine have quit right now Michael.I agree rare they do that but they will slow down.Unless you are giving them EOs they don't seem to slow down at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts