Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old laundry sink to use as my decaping station this year. I would like to sand the inside down a bit and repaint/seal it so it's nice and clean. Anybody have any recommendations for a food safe paint / shelac that I can apply that will be ok for honey to be in contact with? Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any personal recommendations for paint that sticks well to plastic and wont kill my customers?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
What type of sink? Porcelain Or old enamelware? Both would be harder than most paints you can buy. An hold up better. If it was me I and I had to use it. I would be dropping it off to someone that refinish tubs. And have them run it at the same time they do a tub. Prep is everything on something like this.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Polyethylene is part of the Teflon family, witch makes it problematic to paint, the need for it to be food grade limits you options further.

Two things strike me
1 With out knowing the history I would be worried about what non food grade chemicals such a sink may have been exposed to. My mind goes to dirty diapers and the like... even tho I know such things can be "cleaned" off, I irrationally cringe.... over the last 10 years thers been a baby, caring for an elder parent, and aged dog, followed by a pup.... I know what went down my laundry sink

2 As its a sink, its unlikely it was made with a food grade resin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts