Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for this as a previous topic, but to my surprise I didn't find it being asked yet. Out of learning, I am thinking about adding food coloring to my Spring syrup. I think it would be fun to see where it gets stored and how is gets consumed through the season. This would only be while I am building up, not when I have honey supers on. I would also see if they move it later in the season into my supers(which, I know would be bad.) Anyone ever try this or have an idea of any negatives/side affects that will/could possible happen? Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I believe this was discussed previously as a way to determine if your supers have sugar syrup in them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I hope you will post results as well. I am always afraid to feed sugar syrup (unless absolutely necessary) because I do not want to harvest that. How can you tell? I guess the idea of food coloring would be good. I wonder if it would dye the wax?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used food coloring in the sugar syrup all last Spring and occasionally during the winter when needed. It was neat to see where they stored it. I stopped feeding them since my first inspection in March since they had plenty of stores. I would change the color every two weeks and it looked like a rainbow on the frames. I just added a super so I will be able to see if any colored syrup is moved from the deep up to the super. I don't expect to see any since it has been over a month since I last feed sugar syrup. I am scheduled to inspect today and will let you know.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I hope you will post results as well. I am always afraid to feed sugar syrup (unless absolutely necessary) because I do not want to harvest that. How can you tell? I guess the idea of food coloring would be good. I wonder if it would dye the wax?
Well you would only feed when they needed it. If they were so desperate that you had to feed them, then you shouldn't have supers on them. If you've got supers on and they're filling them with honey, you don't need to be feeding.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha, now I am more eager to try it. Seems like quite an interest in the idea. Hopefully there are no negative side effects, or hear of them before I try it. I love the idea of rotating colors to see the amount used and where it gets stored. What color showed the best once it was capped? I was planning to try green, I thought that would be easiest to see but now I might alternate colors too. Let us know if they moved it from the hive bodies up to the supers. Pictures too! Thanks again everyone, juzzer

·
Registered
97 Posts
.............What color showed the best once it was capped? I was planning to try green, I thought that would be easiest to see but now I might alternate colors too. Let us know if they moved it from the hive bodies up to the supers. Pictures too! Thanks again everyone, juzzer
I used green, red, blue, and yellow. Only because it was the only colors I had. They all showed up fine. Since it was new frames the comb and contents all had a shade of whatever color I was using. I should have taken some pictures.

I don't expect to see any of the colored syrup up in my super. They should have used that in raising the brood and replaced it with nectar & honey.

·
Super Moderator
11,152 Posts
Larry (SNL) has mentioned using food coloring in syrup in several threads. Here's one:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...p=1049186&highlight=food+coloring#post1049186

But if you are not looking for posts by a specific member, the best search tool for Beesource is the Google Custom Search that is on the Beesource home page:
http://www.beesource.com/
That Custom Search tool is NOT the same search tool as the "Search" box that is on every forum page.

Put 'food coloring' in the search box on the left, and there are quite a few results returned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts