Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the better fondant cans to place into my hives? I have heard that there are some that are really soupy however I am looking for some that actually will hold its shape.

Has anyone have experience with hive alive fondant patties? What are your views?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would like to know the better fondant cans to place into my hives? I have heard that there are some that are really soupy however I am looking for some that actually will hold its shape.

Has anyone have experience with hive alive fondant patties? What are your views?
I am using Hive Alive patties. The bees love them, hopefully they will make it through winter fat and happy

·
Registered
53 Posts
i was looking at this product to but I wasn’t sure if the fondant was liquid solid or solid plyable.
Thanks so much
they are squidgy, depends on the temp a bit - when very warm they soften a little but in my experience are not runny- they seem to last well (not dry out) if you just make a smallish cut in the underside of the package

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they are squidgy, depends on the temp a bit - when very warm they soften a little but in my experience are not runny- they seem to last well (not dry out) if you just make a smallish cut in the underside of the package
i am thinking of feeding in a carracel syrup feeder and placing in this. What are your thoughts

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can get Golden Barrel 90/10 fondant 50# at most local wholesale/bakery supply houses for about $35.00.
The fondant that Mann Lake sells comes from Golden Barrel. I ran across a photo from a disgruntled Mann Lake customer two years ago who’s fondant had arrived melted and full of ants. In the photo you could see the manufactures name on the box which was Golden Barrel. At the time Mann Lake wanted $89.00 for the 50 lb box while Golden Barrel was selling it for $32.00. The only downside to purchasing fondant from Golden Barrel was the added shipping charges which was almost as much as the fondant itself. From Golden Barrels location in PA to my home in WV the final cost for 1- 50 lb box of 90/10 fondant came to $52.00.

Unfortunately this year Golden Barrel stopped selling to the general public. Now you have to order through Webstaurant.com but the cost is still about the same. I have placed 4 different orders this year and never had any issues at all from Webstaurant.com. Each time I have received my order in under 3 days. I wish I knew of a local bakery who would sell in bulk but I don’t.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Sugar is less than 50cents pound Canadian so cheaper in US terms. You are paying a fair amount for convenience but it may be worth it. Not mentioned on this thread is the starch content. Starch is not easily digested by bees. Not a problem for spring feeding but may be a concern for shut in winter feeding. Powdered iceing sugar has about 5% starch to keep it free pouring. Dont know if it is included in the making of the commercial fondant.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The fondant that Mann Lake sells comes from Golden Barrel. I ran across a photo from a disgruntled Mann Lake customer two years ago who’s fondant had arrived melted and full of ants. In the photo you could see the manufactures name on the box which was Golden Barrel. At the time Mann Lake wanted $89.00 for the 50 lb box while Golden Barrel was selling it for $32.00. The only downside to purchasing fondant from Golden Barrel was the added shipping charges which was almost as much as the fondant itself. From Golden Barrels location in PA to my home in WV the final cost for 1- 50 lb box of 90/10 fondant came to $52.00.

Unfortunately this year Golden Barrel stopped selling to the general public. Now you have to order through Webstaurant.com but the cost is still about the same. I have placed 4 different orders this year and never had any issues at all from Webstaurant.com. Each time I have received my order in under 3 days. I wish I knew of a local bakery who would sell in bulk but I don’t.
So, Govtmule, Would you be willing to share your recipe of ingredients with the fondant? I currently use sugar mixed with pollen and a touch of vinegar for my winter sugar cakes. Thanks..

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, Govtmule, Would you be willing to share your recipe of ingredients with the fondant? I currently use sugar mixed with pollen and a touch of vinegar for my winter sugar cakes. Thanks..
We purchase our Fondant
Im sorry but we purchase our fondant pre-made.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have tried fondant a few times (the fondant Mann Lake sells). There are things I like and dislike about it. It is easy to slice into thin patties and bees readily consume it however it can be a real slippery, sloppy, soupy mess if not used up quickly and if the package arrives already torn apart from the abuses of shipping.

I have also tried the Mann Lake Winter Pro Patty mix that comes in a 50 lb. plastic bucket with a resealable snap on lid. This is also a bit soupy in warmer temps but it is not a big deal since it is contained in the bucket. It is about 96% sugar and 4% pollen sub. The bees readily consume it about as well as fondant and if you store the bucket in a warm area over night before feeding it is really nice and easy to scoop out with an ice cream scoop and place on top of the frame bars and I put a few scoops in the my Apimaye hive feeders and make sure the feeder restrictors are set to the Candy/Kek position so the bees can access the feeder where they clean up the patty mix balls that I scooped into the feeder.

In the end, the bees get fed well either way but you end up with a mess with the fondant and you end up with a real nice plastic bucket with a gasketed seal snap top that we used for holding raw honey from the extractor (the bucket is actually a 4 gallon bucket which makes hefting them up to pour into our 80 gallon bottling tank MUCH easier on the back. Right now both are on sale at Mann Lake and cost the same. Pick what suits you and your bees the best.

Best wishes for a happy & enjoyable Thanksgiving to all!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fivej, I’ve never used the Mann Lake products that you mention. Are they too soupy to hang vertically in a top bar hive? It sounds like they might drip if not consumed quickly.

I’m in Portland so winter temps are usually 40s/low 50s.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fivej, I’ve never used the Mann Lake products that you mention. Are they too soupy to hang vertically in a top bar hive? It sounds like they might drip if not consumed quickly.

Thanks,
Kevin
Mann Lake purchases their Fondant from Golden Barrel so it's one and the same. I usually take a sharp butcher knife and cut slabs or chunks of the fondant out and lay them either on a baggie or parchment paper. I have purchased about 300 lbs over the last 2 years and I've never had it turn soupy. If anything the fondant becomes hard as a brick the longer it is in the hive. I can't speak for other beekeepers but that has been my experience with this particular fondant.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

this is really great with all the input regarding my making a choice with the fondant candy. I can place over the winter and hopeful forget about it since they are in a enclosure.
Does the fondant candy come individually wrapped or in bulk?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks,
Kevin
low 40 and 50 well this is warm! The weather here is -25 to -30 so this is why I was asking about the fondant candy because shortly I will not be able to order and put in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts