Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making bee fondant for years. For years, for no rhyme or reason, following the same procedure year in and year out--there is a chance any given batch will not solidify-HARD. It happened again and I am frustrated.

I have to place the formed fondant discs on a cookie sheet into a 175 oven for a couple of hours to harden.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

The recipe I have always used called for 2 cups of corn syrup ( since the 1940s and some still use it today)...I may cut this in half or eliminate it altogether....everything else is consistent with most fondant recipes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my recipe may have a touch too much liquid in it cutting back 1/2c water, and half as much corn syrup. So aggravating. This last batch was the worst ever. I can usually bring it back by heating in an oven for a coupke hours but this didnt touch it this time. Luckily i have fondant left over from last season, and will try the updated recipe. I go through the troubke for the bees that i spent all year caring for. The fondant makes an inveryed sugar product that is easier for them to digest and i also fortify. Really just wondering if anyone has played around with the corn surup content... i am not new to making fondant every year. Thanks yall!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am about to make a batch tomorrow. I think fondant with just sugar turns out exactly as you say , too crumbly.. i think that is what the corn syrup does, hold it together....so, i think i will go into it with re-tooling the recipe...will report back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Because I am a small scale bee operation, I can take the time and go the extra distance for my apiary.

i reduced the liquid in my recipe-water from 3c to 2.5c and corn syrup by half-from 2c to one cup.

The other mistake i made was being too cautious not to scorch heating the 10-pound sugar solution-where I should have put more heat into it to bring it to a good rolling boil and back off as it reached 242-(~soft ball stage).

Cutting the liquid and adding sufficient heat produced the fondant that I have made for years.....i think i have it dialed in.

The corn syrup gives the elasticity as I discovered from the guy (above) that only used sugar and water and got a crumbly product. Anyway, it turned out great, a solid granular fondant made of an inverted sugar, fortified with 1/2c ultra bee and 2tbln of HBH.

Ingredient Recipe Serveware Cooking Kitchen utensil
Gas Synthetic rubber Plate Pottery Porcelain

1 - 4 of 4 Posts