Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any bee supply stores sell them, or how do I make them for langstroth hive? Thanks.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
The only ones I've seen are these:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Plastic-Hive-Divider-or-Nuc-Maker/productinfo/460/

And I never had any luck with the plastic dividers, not to mention they are expensive. I have not seen any for sale. I was given a bunch of Honey Master frames which are kind of a vertical plastic slatted rack. I cut them down to mediums and use them to fill excess spaces, which is one of the uses for a follower board. Other uses are to add a double wall for insulation/condensation prevention or to use as a divider. Those would have to be solid and in the case of the divider, tight enough to not let a bee through...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Beekind (northern California - Google for website) sells follower boards for mediums and deeps. I've heard positive things about them, but I have not personally purchased from them.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I use 1" (nominal) pine boards very carefully cut to rest smoothly on the frame rests.

What's your aim in using them? I think that may make a difference in which materials work best.

enjambres

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've got lots of follower boards made from 3/8" plywood with 3/8" wide pine strips glued and nailed to the top so they hang from the frame rests. I haven't used them much in recent years but they sometimes come in handy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
bevy's - Take a frame and cut the top bar and end bars in half. Glue and nail them to a 3/8" piece of plywood
or cdx. Hangs like a frame, so you can use it anywhere. I use them in all my hive bodies.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bevy's - Take a frame and cut the top bar and end bars in half. Glue and nail them to a 3/8" piece of plywood
or cdx. Hangs like a frame, so you can use it anywhere. I use them in all my hive bodies.
That's what I need!

I have a hive that has too much space as it was queenless for quite awhile. I'd rather use a follower board than move them to smaller box at this point.

I also have a couple nuks ready for 10 frame box, but what I've noticed is that once I move them, build out diminishes significantly. I want to experiment with follower board, keep them tight with only one or two frames at a time to build out. Mostly experimental. I also have one hive box that was first used as a double nuk and I want to use it again for that reason. I think having a couple of follower boards around is a good idea.

I am going to look at Beekind too, because I don't have much in the way of tools. I would have to ask someone to make it for me.

I have one from Brushy, the plastic one. It's high on top, and I use flat lids so it pushes the whole piece sideway. But, now that I think about it, I bought that before I owned any inner covers (which I use for escape boards) and that is probably all I need to see if it may work til I get some made.
Thanks!

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Take a frame and cut the top bar and end bars in half. Glue and nail them to a 3/8" piece of plywood
Got a pic?..........for some reason (not enuff coffee? ) I can't picture this........

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry snl, haven't figured out pics yet. Take a piece of 3/8" plywood and cut it 17" long by 9 1/8" high.
Take a Hoffman style frame and cut right down the middle of the groove on the top bar. Then take the end
bars and cut them in half also on the table saw. You will have 4 end pieces and two top bar pcs to make
two follower bds. Glue the pcs. (top bar first) to the plywood piece and nail it, don't use staples because it
might split the wood. It will look like a 1/2 frame with a solid board and you hang it just like a fr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts