Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading the Book "Honey in the Comb" by Eugene E. Killion, it shows a diagram on how to create a Follower Board. Does anyone on the forum make these or how I might purchase them as I really don't have the desire to make them myself.

Basically their purpose is to to put two of these boards in (1/4 In wide in both ends of the 10 frame hive with only 9 frames in between. What I absolutely loved was that these are created with enough bee space so that the bees don't build comb on them.

The real benefit for these boards is that you can pull the board out at either end and you are not rolling your bees. I have often wondered when I worked my bees whether or not I killed the queen by pulling out frames where the queen may have been on it and she got rolled and injured.

·
Registered
760 Posts
central

one thing to remember that the queen Rarely is on the out side frames - in fact i have never found her there-- and there are several reason that this is so ..
one is that the workers control where she is - they herd her to where she goes - i know that it looks the other way but think about it ... when new comb is built and the queen is "still " in the cage (new pack) the workers build comb - with or without her - and then when she shows up they take her to the ready to lay comb-
second is the hive layout - honey, pollen,brood,pollen,honey
the queen has no reason to ever walk on pollen or honey - ever
so with that in mind you can Always take out the side frames with no worry of harm to the queen
and then just slide the frames over to make moving room for inspection
i usually take out 2 frames before i start sliding

the follower board is just more parts and more wieght
trust me i weight 150 soakin wet and i like to keep it light (exept in the winter)

hope this helps ore at least points out some ideas

one other thing on the follower boards is to use the divison feeders to make it 9 frame- that way it serves the same as a follower board, is useful, sell able, and just lift out before you inspect - the bees really dont throw comb on it too much -

happy keepins

Seth

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trained by a beek to never take the first one out, but take the second one first, where the queen may be. It wouldn't be the first time that I followed incorrect advice.

I still want to experiment with the follower boards though in some of my hives so that I can see first hand how it works. So, is there anyone out there who makes and sells these?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
maybe I am being silly or something, but wouldnt a skill saw and about 5 minutes not do the trick. I could make them for you, but then shipping, cost and everything else......to me it doesnt make sense but sometimes things dont to me. I am with Concrete, never seen the queen on the outside frame. I have seen her on 3-8 but never 1,2,9,10. I always pull out 1 and 2 to do manipulations or anything else in the hive. So basically, the follower board is an insert. Should be easy enough.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
CentralPAguy - Try this, when you are finished working a hive, push the frames firmly away from you, putting all the "play" against the close wall. This will make it easier to remove the outside comb when you come back next time.
Concretebees - Maybe YOUR queens don't use the outside frames, but ours get in trouble if they do not. We are taskmasters. (said with respect).

Roland

·
Registered
760 Posts
if she is not laying out there.... how do i get her out there to lay ??
they always put honey there??? can i take the frames ( once filled with honey) out and move the brood around to get her out there???
advice is always exepted!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Follower boards are simple to make(I don't use them).

I've found many queens on the outside frames.

Managing the brood nest will make her lay in frame 2-9(10 frames) 1 & 2 should be honey and pollen(but not always neccesary) for a barrier from heat and cold.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
concretebees- As soon as the weather permits, like Beeslave stated, we manipulate our frames. Are you doing this for fun, or for profit? The bees need a little reserves, but if it is a full frame of honey, why is it allowed in a brood chamber? The more honey you take at 1.50, and replace with HFCS at 30, the more profit. Besides, like the checkerboarding theme, you want EMPTY comb for her to lay in. We run with only a deep brood chamber. Honey(real) goes up , empties go down.
For example, we purchased several packages form Sheri last year, early April. By early June we were able to split everyone of them, and by the end of June, both hives where up to strength.

Roland

1 - 11 of 11 Posts