Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything seems to be back in order. Picked up the two swarms one small that is in a Nuc and the large one that is in a deep. Just before dusk I went back to check on things and make sure that everything had settled down and the hive that I thought had swarmed looks like a war zone. The bottom of the screened bottom board appears to covered with dead bees. I looked very closely and there were bees coming in and out but there were hundreds of dead bees. Is this possible? Could it be that some other hives from another apairy swarmed and attempted to take up residency is this hive. I have 11 hives at this location and this was by far the stongest hive. I'm sure someone else has experienced this. This is my second year keeping bees and I love reading the forums but tend to be a lurker. Thanks for any thoughts as to what I might of experiened, your expertise has been extremely helpful in making bee keeping a fun and exciting event.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Without more information I really can't tell you what happened to your bees. Although, I had a swarm take over an empty hive just a few weeks ago. One of my hive got knocked over by a cow and finding it all over the ground and empty, I set it all back up with a heavy heart. A few days later I went back to that spot to get the woodware and check on the hives at that location (I have several hives at different locations) and Lord and behold there were bees on the landing board and flying all around the hive. Thinking it may be brood that hatched or some robbing or a possible swarm took the hive over, I opened the ive and looked around. Sure enough it was a swarm that moved in. I am sure it was a swarm from one of my hives as is probably the same case you have. If you have eleven hives at the same location in my opinion the swarm is most likely from one of your hives. It is not a rare occurence to have a swarm take up in an empty hive.
JMO,
Big T

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were no empty hives in the bee yard. So there were no empty hives for them to move into. It appears or I thought that a swarm of bees was attempting to move into a hive with bees in it. Just trying to come up with a logical solution as to why there were so many dead bees on that bottom board. I know that beekeeping isn't always logical nor does it necessarily present the answer we want to hear. But through experience I can try and understand what those darn bees are doing and thinking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts