Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm thinking about adding Oxalic Acid with Mineral Oil for use in a Fogger.

I've seen some information about adding Oxalic Acid to Alcohol (Ethanol) and this seems to work fine with a fogger. Ethanol (pure grade) is hard to come by in my part of the world. I've also seen people using Mineral Oil in their fogging machines with some success.

So I was thinking, has anyone used a combination of Oxalic Acid and Mineral Oil in a fogger, and if so, how did you do this and was it successful.

Thanks
Dave in New Zealand

PS... Sorry about the cup

·
Registered
724 Posts
I seriously doubt that mineral oil will work. The reason to use alcohol is that it will evaporate away quickly leaving the oxalic acid behind. The oil will remain for a long time and most likely leave the oxalic acid useless. They don't sell high proof alcohol in New Zealand?

·
Registered
261 Posts
well when you go to a concert are you covered with oil when they use the fog machines?
mineral oil is what the fog is created from.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
When OA is "vaporized" it is actually heated until it sublimates; it's not fogged, nor is it turned into vapor.

Without the heat needed to sublimate it I doubt it would have any effect and at the same time you might create a significant operator health problem.

FGMO "fogging" doesn't work and adding OA isn't going to make it work any better, no matter which verb is used to describe the process.

Whether burning off OA crystals with grain alcohol works or not, I can't say. Never tried it.

Keep it simple, and get or make a proper vaporizer, or use OA dribble, instead.

And don't forget to wear your personal protection gear including a respirator with acid gas canisters. Inhaled OA crystals will really mess you up.

Enj.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts