Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I had to cut 2" foamboard for wrapping my hives and instead of using a utility knife with a long blade and snapping, I reached for my Japanese Pull Saw. It worked great! Quick,neat cut, and not many "particles". Only drawback is if I had to do a bunch of them, it would dull the saw. J

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Tablesaw works great. So does the bandsaw. I have used my Japanese pull saws on it and they do work pretty well. Nothing beats the table saw for a high quality edge though and my shop vac on the dust collection port gets almost all of the particles.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Ditto on the table saw with plywood blade. Edges are perfect.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Serrated bread knife.
Has many good uses.
Cutting foam board is one of them.
Easily replaceable for cheap too (if worried of going dull).

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Like the others with a table saw.I dont insulate hives but I have use a table saw for cutting it for other things and works great.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
How do you bond pieces together?
That depends on what you are bonding. PL8 foam board adhesive works decent for joints that don't see stress.

Sometimes I use gorilla tape. Its strong enough to take some stress and it usually lasts a winter, not very reusable though. Leaves residue.

On my hives I use two methods. The first is to just hold them in place with a ratchet strap. Use a harbor freight coupon and get them dirt cheap. A helper is a must for installing them.

The second method is one I used last year for some of my wraps. I had a bunch of 1/4" all-threaded rod left over from something else. I cut a 1/4" wide groove 1" deep in two of the boards, cut the all-thread 6" longer, pressed it into the groove, and filled the groove with spray foam. Then I drilled holes in the the other two pieces to line up with the all-thread and secured them tight around the hive with washers and wingnuts. I was able to store them flat over the summer and will reuse them this winter. I used up all the all-thread so this years new hives are back to ratchet straps.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Spray foam has worked well as an adhesive for me when bonding XPS to XPS. I am thinking of building 5 sided; slip-over boxes with a 1/2 inch clearance. I use to simply screw them on in the past with a large washer. This, screwing on interfered with quick early Spring inspections to verify queen status. Failed queens are my single biggest cause of colony loss.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friend and co-worker and I were cutting foamboard on a table saw one day, and as he was feeding and I was taking off, I felt something hit my face. It was the tip of his finger and blood. He didn't feel a thing until I shut down the saw and pointed out he was missing a finger tip. Careful out there! J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts