Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When adding additional hot wax to plastic foundation, do you get your best results from using a foam mini roller or the foam brush?

·
Registered
142 Posts
or rub it on and run a propane torch over it real fast. If it is between a roller and brush I have only tried the foam brush, was worried about fibers from the rollers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a 3 inch hard low mass roller, the down side is you will use quite a bit of wax, so since you loose 5 or 6 lbs of honey to get a pound of wax you need a bunch of hives set up with 1 inch starter strips making wax to keep your honey production hives in fresh wax. Or at least that is how I do it. The wax producing hives also produce my eggs for grafting and fairly often produce my bee bombs when I am making queens.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Take a block of wax and rub it on like an eraser.
Vance, does that work for you? I used to do that on top bars when I ran TBH's and it worked great, but does it work on foundation?

We've done a lot of waxing plastic foundation, and we do it by melting a layer of bees wax on water in a bottling tank and then we dip them. Works great. Thick wax. Uses about 8 lbs (med) to 10 lbs (deep) per 100 sheets. We like the wax layer in the tank to be 4 to 6 inches deep.

Adam

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Take a block of wax and rub it on like an eraser.
I do this in the field with burr comb warm from the hive, it works well for corners and small areas on the frames.

I use a foam roller that I keep in an old crook pot, the thicker I apply the wax the quicker the bees draw the frames, even during a low flow.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Use a turkey fryer and melt some wax. Dip 1/2 the sheet, turn it around and dip the other 1/2. Bang the foundation against the wall of the turkey fryer to remove the excess.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
:thumbsup:
I do this in the field with burr comb warm from the hive, it works well for corners and small areas on the frames.

I use a foam roller that I keep in an old crook pot, the thicker I apply the wax the quicker the bees draw the frames, even during a low flow.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Use a turkey fryer and melt some wax. Dip 1/2 the sheet, turn it around and dip the other 1/2. Bang the foundation against the wall of the turkey fryer to remove the excess.
X2. Works very well. I got an old cd rack that I lay sideways to put them on when cooling. It holds 75. I do half of the side on 75 then start again on the other half side. If you don’t bang them on the side pretty good you can go through some wax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts