Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious, we were/are in a significant drought bubble in my area, but the bees apparently were getting quite a bit of nectar as they were not interested in syrup at all a month ago.

We did get some nice rain in the area over the last 10 days but still way behind. Tallow trees have dropped their flowers, so that nectar run is over.

But it seems that everything is not pulling in much nectar, is anyone else on the TX/LA coastal area seeing the same.

I did a small cut out this evening and there was almost no capped honey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have hives just outside of Houston, so little inland, but were strong May/June, harvested 40lbs off one hive and still have ~ 20lbs or so left in there to harvest. We did move these hives from Austin were we had them before, and out there they struggled to bring much in due to the drought, but this year they have done well in Houston. Have not been out for a week or so, so not sure if they are slowing down, i suspect they are....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I extracted 4 capped supers this weekend and put them back on the hives. All but one of those hives has a second super maybe 3/4 full but not all capped. It looks like they are not putting any, or very little, excess into the supers now. I see none disappearing from the brood nest, which is also packed. I left a piece of cardboard out that the supers had leaked on, and it was ignored, so they seem to have their attention on something. I expect it to shut down very soon.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Maybe some cotton if your yards are nearby. tallow is over other than a few second blooms but most here are in the green popcorn phase now.
My yard in the city limits has small nectar flows but has slowed tremendously. Next big flow here will be the Goldenrod or maybe a little broomweed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
From mid August to middle of October. I usually take all the spring/summer honey and just a little of the Goldenrod as its strong and pungent. Good for baking and I have a few people that prefer it over the milder. Its great for overwintering.

·
Registered
245 Posts
One of my hives in town has two,8-frame mediums filled and mostly capped (has two for brood). The other, a foot away, only drew and filled one frame in one medium (also two for brood). :scratch:
Tallow is done here as well, but still bringing a little in from somewhere.
Have two hives out of town, but haven't looked at them in a couple weeks. Suspect one of those to have two mediums capped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts