Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I would probably get some simple normal top bars made, and just cover the flowerpot with them (like they show in the picture on the link you posted). Popsicle sticks and pencils wouldn’t work that well. I would want the bars to close off the top of the pot like it’s the cover.

The bars with the angled cut at the bottom as the starter strip might not work as well. I would use the type that is flat on the bottom with the groove down the center for installing a starter strip. Even keep them long so the combs could eventually be transferred into a normal top bar hive down the road.

Now if you are going to really try to use it for queen rearing or as a nuc, it would probably be useful to have drawn comb for it (like the article says). Having another established hive, preferably in a top bar, from which you could take some bees, comb and brood, would make things a lot easier. My initial reaction is not to use it starting out with just starter strips. But, if nothing else, you could tie some pieces of comb to the bars.

----------
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
If you don't have a topbar hive, why wouldn't you just use a nuc? Probably easier to make, and then your equipment remains interchangeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts