Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of light blue flower is this sharing a patch of ground with Henbit?
Is it a useful source of pollen/nectar?
IMG_0383-small.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure of the identification, after looking up the Persian Speedwell and Creeping Charlie I would lean towards the Persian Speedwell. We have the stuff everywhere. It's pretty much what keeps our property greenish during the winter. It's a very early bloomer like already stated. I noticed ours blooming in early January this year and the bees are working it any chance they get to fly.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Is this the flower? It was all over DC last spring during the cherry blossom bloom. Tiny little thing. I had to use all my close-up filters and then crop the image down to get this.

DC Cherry Blossoms 028 Crop.jpg

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Not sure of the identification, after looking up the Persian Speedwell and Creeping Charlie I would lean towards the Persian Speedwell. We have the stuff everywhere. It's pretty much what keeps our property greenish during the winter. It's a very early bloomer like already stated. I noticed ours blooming in early January this year and the bees are working it any chance they get to fly.

Your right, after relooking I agree persian speedwell. Although creeping charlie is everywhere in Louisville, especially in the old parts of the city. In early spring some yards are blanketed in a sea of beaitful indigo flowers.

It seems to grow in the less sunny areas where grass has problems growing and cannot crowd out. It use to be a popular ground cover, in early spring some yards are coated in a beautiful blanket of indigo flowers. But then thru spring in summer it aggressive spreader. I have some blooming in my cold frame, the yard weeds havn't started but should in a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts