Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
If you are in an urban area, crepe myrtle is blooming. Not much going on out here in Aylett yet, but the hives without feeders are still bringing in a little nectar and natural pollen. Soybeans should be coming on in a week or two.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
If in fact they are robbing a crashing apiary near you, keep an eye on your mite counts. We are fast approaching that time of year when tf beeks with non resistant bees will be reporting how their hives were very active (robbers actually) and then the bees absconded, taking all their honey with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine are bringing in some pollen but for the most part, honey stores are low in all of my "new this year" hives. I am now feeding 2:1 after harvesting 30lbs from one of last year's new hives.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Hey Denise, good the hear you got a harvest this year. 30# is not bad at all for our area. I am still feeding one to one, partially because I am lazy and it is easier, but also because I am trying to get comb drawn and the bees seem more willing when the volume is higher.

·
Registered
20 Posts
John—-I’m pretty thrilled with 30 lbs! It came from the hive that swarmed (the one I called you about). When I compare it to Doug and his Dad, though, it’s NOTHING! They have 11 hives in the Afton area and when all was said and done, they had over 350 lbs!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts