Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just over one year in so I don't know a good flow from a bad flow. Any thoughts on what is happening flow wise in IL?
ks

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think right now there is Acacia trees blooming and before we just had dandeione.
A good and strong flow is linden which will happen in about 5 to 6 weeks from now.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Lots of stuff blooming right now. Raspberries, wild cherry. We can get a dearth in July if it is hot and dry, but prior to July it is all on. Usually good flows in Fall too.

The key is weather (obviously, sorry). If it is a long dry summer and fall it can be a long dearth, otherwise it seems to be good.
Last year was a super-wet fall, and my bees made no honey at all, it was feeding all fall and winter. If the weather half-way cooperates N. Il is great for bees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lots of stuff blooming right now. Raspberries, wild cherry. We can get a dearth in July if it is hot and dry, but prior to July it is all on. Usually good flows in Fall too.

The key is weather (obviously, sorry). If it is a long dry summer and fall it can be a long dearth, otherwise it seems to be good.
Last year was a super-wet fall, and my bees made no honey at all, it was feeding all fall and winter. If the weather half-way cooperates N. Il is great for bees.
So it looks like the flow is on. But my bees insist first on filing up the lower two hive bodies and will not touch the super up top. Tried to seed it but they just moved the honey back to the lower boxes. New package; old comb. How many supers are folks up to and when do you reckon the flow started? ...reporting from Sugar Grove, Illinois

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am in northern Illinois and everything blooming. Just noticed the wild roses opened yesterday. I have a strong flow going. I have about 2 supers that are filled with nectar and some are capped or in the process of capping. I have mostly 3 supers per hive. Have a couple of weak hives with only one super. Even with the lack of rain I expect the flow togo thru July.

revilim, I don't know what you mean by old comb. If it is clean and not diseased they should move up. I assume you are not using a QE. Have you checked for a queen, brood or larvae? What is your bee population? Are there a lot of bees or is your hive light on bees..... if so they may have swarmed. Hard to tell with limited information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts ...

old comb = frames fully drawn and clean but drawn previous years
QE = yes
queen = yes
brood = solid pattern
swarm = no, new package

The bees are just starting to deposit in the single super as of today. We had windy cloudy spring here and it is only in the past two weeks that there have been days-long stretches of sun and low winds. So maybe the new package had its work cutout filling the two deep super brood boxes. Soybean is yet to bloom here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am in northern Illinois and everything blooming...I have about 2 supers that are filled with nectar and some are capped or in the process of capping...Even with the lack of rain I expect the flow to go thru July.
Thank you all for the updates. I have a lot of nectar but no frames capped edge to edge. Some are close, many about 75% capped. If only those hives hadn't swarmed.
ks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts