Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had severe drought in central TX and it appeared to me most of the wildflowers were nearly finished blooming. As a new beekeeper I figured that would be the end to the spring flow. However, in the last week we have gotten over 4" of rain, with more forecast.

Will a concentrated rain event significantly extend the flow? I am thinking of things like Texas purple sage, which has not bloomed since last summer, and seems to respond quickly to rain. Does anyone know of other plants in this area that also respond quickly to episodic rains?

·
Registered
324 Posts
South of Houston we have tousands of Chinese Tallow trees and my guess is there are tallows up toward Bastrop also. Probably not as many as they cant take the cold. Usually its all over here about mid June as they always put out after blooms or candles but are not near as long. My guess is we will still be in flow until late June because of extended cool weather. Tallow honey is ultra clear and thin and tastes good also. I usually keep it separated from the other wildflowers blooming. Mixes well with Bourbon and excellent with tea and coffee.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Texas is a big place with a lot of different climates. In North and East Texas, we are seeing an extended (or late) spring. Vetch is still blooming, blanket flower is just getting going, ball, arrow leaf and other clovers are still in bloom, wild flowers are generally late. Peaches are late, as are tomatoes. We are 10 inches behind on rainfall for the year, but the late spring rains have come at just about the right times to keep things going. I went through my hives are Paris this weekend and was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of honey capped or being capped. Mesquite has been blooming for a week or so in areas that have it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in Bastrop the blanket flowers have been done for 2 weeks, Mexican hat is winding down and the mesquite bloomed poorly 3-4 weeks ago. Prickly poppy and other poppys are finished, as well as the pecans. I will get a little citrus from my own trees, but there are few in the area. Looking forward to rosemary and sage.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Best Blanket Flower bloom around here that I've ever seen. Mesquites are blooming and my mesquites typically bloom off and on through late July-early August.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yes, the regular rains have been good for our drought, even when not up to yearly averages. I think something will bloom as long as the rains continue. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts