Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flow seems to be ending for me. Robbing of nucs has started. It's gotten dry and few bees are on clover. What are the observations of those around here?

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
The last time I was in my hives about 5 days ago there was still nectar (probably clover) coming in, and still no robbing, but we have been getting good regular rain so far. Could end in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm a little south of you in Cleveland County and our flow seems to have dropped as well. Still bringing some in but things seem to have slowed significantly from a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pretty much over here to in the Brushy Mtn area except the sourwoods are beginning to tassle out some but that seems to just be a mythical legend that so called sourwood honey:)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Got around to doing some mid-summer splits yesterday, taking doubles and cutting them down to singles. Left half a frame of open nectar leaning against the hive, thinking it would go un-noticed with the clover still in bloom. Went to an out-yard, came back to a robbing frenzy.

So . . . flow's over for the season. Hot and dry weather appears to be burning up the clover (usually lasts a little bit longer than this). Not the best time to make summer splits . . . oops.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Things have gotten very slow here too. Small amounts of nectar still coming in, but not likely to last much longer. Getting some rain this week, so hopefully that will help. I just hope its not a repeat of last year with a massive dearth after the spring flow.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Things have gotten very slow here too. Small amounts of nectar still coming in, but not likely to last much longer. Getting some rain this week, so hopefully that will help. I just hope its not a repeat of last year with a massive dearth after the spring flow.
Still got sumac species that out there heavy and with the rain that's forecast it should last for two more weeks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I weigh my hives twice a week during the flow. No weight gain in over a week...in fact I think they are consuming. Time to extract.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Just did some beekeeping and robbing season has kicked off - not bad yet, but a week ago they wouldn't clean up burr comb with honey in it if it was left out. That is no longer the case. Time to get careful.

Sometimes it's like flipping a switch.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But I haven't seen them bringing in water yet. So, they're probably bringing in just enough nectar to maintain right now----no gain, no loss.

I am in the process of cleaning my extractor, etc and decided to rob tommorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts