Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Florida beekeeper claims someone poisoned, killed nearly 7 million of his honeybees

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Roland 
#1 ·
#4 ·
You know this is a good example of a person in need right here in our own country we could help instead of all those foreigners.

No offense to anyone.

The crime could easily be done on whoever asked how or why. And a lot of people in agriculture can't set up cameras and motion sensors, especially if they have families to feed. If someone wants to be a cheater in life they will.

But you know a couple years ago also there was a bee thief operating in CA and other areas of the southwest. That's what this reminded me of. He was a worker or something from 'abroad', and then worked for a few beekeepers. All the time he was staking out where people would keep their hives and he roamed several states taking sometimes all of someone's livelihood. When he'd go into an area, he would take literally ALL of the hives.

https://time.com/4785499/california-man-steals-bees-pavel-tveretinov/

I'm just saying that if someone wants to be a predator unfortunately there will be victims. :( And sometimes people do things to other people that really mess them up and they don't often have a reason. They just thought they saw a stepping stone and...boom. Someone else suffers.

Wouldn't be hard for people to donate a few hives to that to help him on his feet in that area. But people often won't help people out.

#5 · (Edited)
Several commercial bee keepers on Facebook have indicated this is a well respected guy with over 20k hives. While it is not a small loss, it comprises about 1% of his hives at over 20k colonies, so likely not debilitating. Painfull I'd imagine, but not a killer blow.

Keep in mind, I'm only relaying what I have seen posted elsewhere.

#11 ·
Pretty sure that's the study that tested only about 32 hives of bees. There was a very slight average tendency for higher mortality with increased exposure to glyphosate, but the longest living bees in the study actually received the highest dosage, if memory serves correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.